home categories contact about me store
This blog is part of at least one affiliate program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Friday, November 6, 2020

RV Renovation: Blinds, Curtains, Cornices, Faux Shiplap, & a Massive Couch

My husband was not super excited about putting screws in the walls of our camper, so it had always really limited what we were able to do using 3M Command hooks, velcro, etc.  After he saw the absurd number of screws and staples that came OUT of the camper as we removed pieces, he was less reluctant.
I made note of what size screws were used in different areas of the camper, their lengths, etc.  I wanted to be certain that as I drilled new holes for new elements that I wasn't exceeding what the depth of the walls (no need to puncture the exterior of the camper!😱)  I even kept screws and fasteners in labeled ziploc bags so that I could reference them later if needed.
The studs in our camper are metal.  It made hanging things with screws in some areas where I previously had 3M hooks a much less appealing option.  For example, I didn't want to hang some hooks between the bathroom vanity and the shower on the peel & stick Tic Tac Tiles, because there is a metal stud there in that very narrow space.  If I were to use another 3M hook, I'm afraid the weight of wet towels could pull my backsplash down.  So, I found other places to hang additional hooks where I could use screws and anchors where appropriate.  Because I had little information about where plumbing lines run, I was vigilant to stay away from any space that I thought it might be an issue, too.
I ordered simple Wrap Around Curtain Rods that help with room darkening so the curtains can meet the wall on the edges.  Everyone in the family likes a really dark sleeping space, so you'll see that theme carried throughout the camper.  I want the light during the day, but when it is time for bed, everyone wants it DARK.  Metal curtain rings with clips were an easy way to make these kitchen towel curtains work.  I can remove the middle clips and "criss cross" the fabric to keep the curtains from parting.  I ordered a pack of 12 Farmhouse-style kitchen towels and used 4 on each of the 2 windows in the master.  I kept the other 4 for the kitchen.  Because we do like it dark, I sewed the towels in pairs and added blackout fabric to the backs.


Remember how I had ordered enough fabric to recover the original couch?  Well, I didn't use all of it by any stretch since we didn't do that, but I was able to use that soft microfiber fabric in the bunkhouse.  I recovered the header over their closet, recovered all sections of the Cub Couches (even the two backrests not pictured here), and made simple pocket curtains that serve as blackout curtains.

Because you're going to see it in a second anyway, I'll let you in on my little secret.  While I LOVE the reclaimed shiplap wallpaper, it's not cheap.  I really wanted to add some visual interest in the slideout, but with the windows, cabinets, lamp, and massive couch, there's really not room for artwork, etc.  I had seen people try this general effect with Sharpie, and I just couldn't get on board.  I marked the walls every 6" and used this INCREDIBLY affordable grid marking graphic tape.  There were a couple of corners that didn't stick as well as I would have liked, so I used a tiny bit of super glue to secure those corners.  So far, so good!  

Which brings me to our new massive couch!  One of the biggest issues we had with the travel trailer as it was before renovation was the living space.  We are a family of 5, and when we bought it, the kids were still small.  We used to all fit around the banquet with no issues.  My husband and our young twins could easily all pile on the couch, and our other son and I could use the cub couches or a "Big Joe" chair.  Fast forward to today, and our fifteen-year-old son is taller than both my husband and me; he will likely pass 6' in the next few weeks.  He's a linebacker, and he's built like one.  Our 11-year-old daughter is already past my shoulders, and her twin brother isn't far behind.  We needed space to all hang out together.  We looked at SO MANY OPTIONS.  I pinned things, added things to my Amazon cart, looked online at all types of furniture stores, but I kept coming back to this couch.  
I kept looking at the weight and measurements and researching tirelessly how much weight the slideout could hold, and I was so nervous.  I couldn't find ANYTHING definitive.  Because of the weight - and a bit because of the slightly larger size - we decided against getting the sleeper sections of this modular sofa.  At the end of the day, the bunkhouse still can sleep 5 with 3 bunks and 2 cub couches, and this couch is big enough to sleep 2 more.  If we have more than 9 people in our camper for more than about 3 days, I fear something bad would happen.  
With all of the storage space inside each section, the size, and what we wanted for the space, it seemed like the only choice.  I was having real anxiety about the weight of the couch, but my husband was on board, so we ordered it.  
Y'all, I have a love/hate relationship with IKEA.  I know I'm not alone.  AmIRight?  They delivered all of the pieces for a VERY reasonable price in a very quick timeframe.  (So we had to hurry and get HOA permission to bring the camper back to the house so we could load the pieces at the house.)  However, when all of the pieces arrived the next day, they were in twenty-eight boxes.  28.  TWENTY.EIGHT.  It was so comical that I took a picture and texted it to my sister.  Her response was pretty funny.  After some initial aghast choice words, she texted back again, "That thing better be a dream."
As I began to open the boxes, there were of course more pieces and every cover needed to be ironed.  I should have expected it, but I had been naively hopeful that the covers would be on the pieces.

It fits perfectly!  We have a couple of inches on one end between the couch and the wall, but it's like it was made for this space.

With the faux shiplap done and the modular couch in (and Scotch Guarded), it was time for blinds!  As with everything else, I looked and searched and researched options.  I knew what I wanted in the main living area.  In the end, I spent more than I would have liked, but I love the results.  I had custom roller blackout blinds made, and they roll toward the window, so there's no gap for light at night.  I have noticed that the screws on some of the window casings don't leave much room for clearance, so I'm cognizant of them when I pull them down at night or up in the mornings.

To hide those blackout blinds, we cut down part of the former cornices, added new faces, and stained them.   When the blinds are up, you can't see them.

After the renovation was (almost) complete, we took it out for a weekend.  My husband and youngest son came out a day later due to a game, so it was Girl Central.  A mom friend, her two girls, my daughter, another friend, my sister, and I all stayed in the camper.  
There are a few more updates and loose ends that I need to tie up, but it was AWESOME.

Next up, decor, storage, a new coffee bar, and my converted banquet table....
Check out the rest of my RV posts here.

No comments:

Post a Comment