It's that time of year! The weather is gorgeous, and light easy meals are what I crave. This is a favorite in our house. My 6 year old isn't a huge fan of asparagus, but he loves everything else about this dish. Our 20 month old twins love it (although they're really messy with orzo or rice!)
Scallops & Asparagus
1 lb medium asparagus
2 t white-wine vinegar
1/3 cup dry white wine
½ lb halved grape tomatoes
2 lb large sea scallops, tough ligament removed from side of each if attached
1 T unsalted butter or Smart Balance, cut into tablespoon pieces
¾ - 1 t lemon juice (add to reduction)
Serve over rice, cous cous, orzo or angel hair pasta
1. Trim asparagus, then cut stems into 1/4-inch-thick diagonal slices, leaving tips whole.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch heavy nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté asparagus and garlic, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a plate, reserving skillet off heat (do not clean).
3. Pat scallops dry and sprinkle with Creole seasoning. Add cooking spray to skillet and heat over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté half of scallops, turning over once, until browned and just cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes total. Transfer scallops with tongs to another plate as cooked.
4. Wipe out skillet with paper towels, then add remaining tablespoon oil and heat until hot but not smoking. Sauté remaining scallops, turning over once, until browned and cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes total, transferring to plate. (Do not wipe out skillet after second batch.)
5. Carefully add wine and vinegar to skillet (mixture may spatter) and boil, scraping up brown bits, until liquid is reduced to about 2 T, about 1 minute. Add any scallop juices accumulated on plate and bring to a simmer.
6. Cook rice, cous cous, orzo or angel hair pasta according to package directions.
7. Reduce heat to low and whisk in butter and lemon juice until incorporated.
8. Add asparagus and tomatoes and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
9. Serve scallops topped with asparagus and sauce.