After our family went Gluten-Free, our kids really missed simple treats (that were still only very occasional for our family) like waffles. My waffle recipe below is sweet enough that you really don't need syrup! You could certainly cut the sugar if you *need* syrup, confectioner sugar, or whipped cream. Personally, I love these gems with some fresh fruit. They have the perfect crunchy exterior with the soft fluffy middle. They do work better in waffle irons that are "thicker" (like Belgian), but I've made them in a super thin waffle iron (almost the thickness of a pancake) and had RAVE reviews and repeated requests for the recipe. Truth be told, this recipe came about in a search for a great waffle for Chicken & Waffles. So...here they are, the VERY Best Gluten Free Waffles Ever.
(I often double this recipe and make some to freeze for lunches and snacks.)
- 2 cups Pamela's Artisan all-purpose flour (not an affiliate of LaIS)
- 3/4 cup (scant) granulated sugar (If you want a less sweet waffle that is able to "take" syrup, try 1/3-1/2 C sugar.)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 1 1/2 C milk
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted OR coconut oil (and I LOVE it if the coconut oil still has the coconut flavor for these waffles.)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons clear Mexican vanilla (I use Danncy's - not an affiliate of LaIS)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Place flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, cinnamon and salt into a large mixing bowl, stir to combine.
- Place egg whites into a medium mixing bowl, whisk continuously until stiff peaks form.
- Place milk, lemon juice, melted butter, Mexican vanilla and egg yolks into a large bowl, whisk to combine then slowly stir into dry ingredients. Once combined, fold in egg whites until just combined.
- Scoop 1/2 cup of batter and place into center of waffle iron, close lid and let cook until steam subsides and waffle is golden and crisp. Remove hot waffles and place on cooling rack. Continue cooking waffles until all batter is used.
- To serve, place waffles onto serving plates, top with fruit of choice and toppings.