Gas logs are ridiculously expensive, and in Central Texas, we rarely gave weather that warrants a fire. My solution? This DIY project that didn't cost me a penny.
I had my husband cut down a scrap of board that we had to a size smaller than the space in the fireplace where I wanted to place it. I wanted to be able to have overhang on all sides of the board with the wood "logs." My step-dad had a ton of wood, and I asked him to cut down a few of the logs into 1-4" discs. He used 3 different types of wood. I would have loved to have all Aspen, as I think the white would have been really pretty, but I'm thrilled with the outcome. I painted our scrap piece of wood black with some spraypaint we had, and then I used wood glue to position the discs on the board to resemble stacked logs. After allowing them to dry for 24 hours, I went back and used decking screws (that we already had) to secure the logs from the back side of the board. I fit the finished piece into the fireplace and made a couple of final adjustments, and Ta-Da! I love it.