home categories contact about me store
This blog is part of at least one affiliate program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Onion & Artichoke Soup

Cold weather makes me want crave soup.  This soup is very good, and my husband doesn't usually like "pureed" soups. (It's a texture thing.)  We all loved it.  I have started making large batches of soup, serving some the night I make it, bagging the rest into labeled quart or gallon-sized freezer bags, placing the bags flat on a baking sheet, and freezing them.  Once they're frozen, I can "file" them upright along one side of the freezer, it's easy to see the contents, and easy to pull out.  Then, I have a quick appetizer or entree that takes up very little of my freezer space.  I love to serve just a little soup in a shot glass or small coffee or tea cup.  It's just enough to warm you inside without feeling like you're drinking your dinner.

1 T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 t dried ground thyme
1 garlic clove, crushed
28 oz. canned artichokes, drained (not in marinade)
2 ½ C chicken stock
2/3 C light cream or whole milk
2 T fresh thyme, stalks removed
2 sun-dried tomatoes, cut in strips
Directions:
Heat oil in large pan and cook onion and garlic until soft.
Chop artichokes, and add to onion mixture.
Pour in stock, add ground thyme, and stir.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 5 minutes.
Puree in blender or with hand blender.
Return to pan, stir in cream and fresh thyme.
Refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
Can be served hot or cold.  Gently reheat, and garnish with sun-dried tomatoes and sprigs of thyme.
Serve with crusty bread.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment